COVID-19 Latest Visa Application Information
● We do not accept walk in at this moment. Please read the guideline below to make an appointment and wait for us to reply.
● We are experiencing high volumes of phone calls and email inquiries at this moment. It will take us around 5 working days to respond to your appointment request. Upon receiving your email, the prior screening process before fixing an appointment will take approximately 2 weeks. Once you submit your application at visa counter, it will take at least 5 working days to process your application. (Overall, it will take around 3 weeks to obtain a visa at the moment, please plan your trip well ahead of time.)
● We do not respond to urgent visa application or appointment request. Do not purchase confirmed tickets, Embassy will not be responsible for flight tickets or hotel booking which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
All foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan need to apply for a visa
For people who plan to enter Japan from Malaysia1. Quarantine measures
From 0:00 am (JST) on June 1, 2022, based on the New Border Measures (28), on-arrival test, self-quarantine period and place of accommodation after entry into Japan have changed according to the grouping (“Red”, “Yellow” and “Blue” categories) of the countries/regions in which the entrants stayed within 14 days before the day of return to Japan or the day of application for landing on Japan and whether they obtain a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate.
Please refer to the link below regarding grouping of the countries/regions and the respective measures:
Note: Malaysia is under Group ‘Blue’ category and therefore, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required regardless of the vaccination status. However, negative PCR test within 72 hours of your flight departure time is still required.
For FAQ regarding quarantine measures, please refer to Ministry of Health, Labor & Welfare (MHLW) Japan website below:
2. The effect of pre-clearance granted by the Japanese Government to APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) issued by the following countries and region is still suspended:
Australia, Brunei, China, Chile, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
Please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Japan website for details.
3. Based on the New Border Measures (29), from June 10, 2022, foreign nationals who apply for new entry into Japan based on either of the following categories (1), (2) or (3) below are regarded as those with “special exceptional circumstances” and are allowed for new entry into Japan in principle, if the receiving organizations located in Japan complete prescribed applications in the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS).
Eligible persons who meet the following categories (1), (2) & (3):
(1) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a short-term stay (less than three months) for purposes including business and employment (Certificate of Eligibility holders such as intra-company transferee, business manager, engineer/specialist in humanities and international services etc.) (Continued from March 1)
(2) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a short-term stay for tourism (only when a travel agency among others organizing the trip serves as the receiving organization of the entrants) (start from June 10)
(3) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a long-term stay (Certificate of Eligibility holders such as student, dependent etc.) (Continued from March 1)
ERFS certificate registered by your receiving organization/company/university/school is compulsory for visa application under the categories stated above.
Please ask your receiving organization/company/university/school in Japan to refer to this link regarding ERFS registration:
Note: Receiving organizations means organization/company/university/school which employ or invite the entrants for their business/ entertainment/ study/ employment purposes.
4. For those who apply for a visa as a technical intern trainee or a student
For those who apply for a visa as a technical intern trainee or student, you are required to submit a "confirmation letter" relevant to the use of "Fast Track" or "Visit Japan Web ".
Fast track: https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/fasttrack/en/
Fast Track is a way to handle some quarantine procedures before you enter Japan from overseas, using MySOS Web online or the MySOS app on a smartphone.
Visit Japan Web: https://www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/newinfo_07022022.html
Visit Japan Web is a new web service for visitors to Japan. Visitors（including Japanese and the foreigners who have reentry permits）can use this web service for quarantine, immigration and customs procedures before entering Japan.
Confirmation letter required:
(a) From receiving company/university in Japan : https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100355098.docx
(b) From visa applicant : https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100355115.docx (English)
or, https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100355097.docx (Japanese)
Exceptional circumstances that do not need to register with ERFS systemHowever, Foreign nationals newly entering Japan who fall under any of the following do not need to register with ERFS system;.
- Spouses/Children of Japanese Nationals
- Spouses/Children of Permanent Residents
- Spouses/Children of Long-Term Resident
- Visiting Family/Relatives
- Certificate of Eligibility(COE) with reference code “1584”
(Those who had residence status in Japan before but already expired and their university/employer applied for a new COE for them).
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) with dependent status
COE holder with dependent status who are being separated from husband/wife in Japan (effective from 19 January 2022).
- Permanent Resident whose re-entry permit has expired
If you are a permanent resident whose re-entry permit has expired but wish to return to Japan during the travel ban, you may be able to apply for the following measure.
- Humanitarian Reasons
Humanitarian circumstances, such as death of family member, take care of terminally ill family members, accompany minor to Japan.
Checklists of Visa Application Required Documents*Note:
- Due to the border enforcement measures imposed by the Japanese Government, double/multiple-entry visas is suspended at this moment. The Embassy is only accepting applications for Single-entry Visa.
- Documents prepared by the Japanese counterpart do not need to be submitted in original copy.
- It is not mandatory to submit flight booking for your application.
|Applicants from visa exemption countries||Applicants from non-visa exemption countries|
|Click here for the list of Visa Exemption countries|
|（a） Short-term Business with ERFS certificate||Click here||Click here|
|（b） Long term stay with COE (Certificate of Eligibility)||Click here|
|（c） Temporary visit for Spouse of Japanese||Click here||Click here|
|（d）Long term stay for Spouse of Japanese||Click here|
|（e） Certificate of Eligibility(COE) with reference code “1584”||Click here|
|（f） Certificate of Eligibility (COE) with dependent status who are being separated from husband/wife in Japan||Click here|
|（g） Visiting Family (inviter is resident card holder of Japan)||Click here||Click here|
|（h） Package Tour||Click here||Click here|
|（i） "Long-term Resident" Visa for Japan PRs with expired Re-entry Permit (Click here for details)||Click here|
Coverage AreaApplication for visa must be made by the applicant him/herself at the Embassy of Japan or Consulate General Office within jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant resides:
Embassy of Japan in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
Cover Area: Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Pahang, Johor
Consulate-General of Japan (Penang)
Cover Area: Penang, Kedah, Perlis, Perak, Kelantan, Terengganu
Consular Office of Japan (Kota Kinabalu)
Cover Area: Sabah, Sarawak, Labuan
Consular Office of Japan in Johor Bahru has been closed since end of 2014.
Important points to note :
- For short term tourist visa application (only when a travel agency among others organizing the trip serves as the receiving organization of the entrants), kindly refer to our visa application requirement check list and email the embassy at email@example.com to submit visa application on behalf of travellers.
- For other visa application such as short term business visa / application with COE, applicant him/herself has to submit visa application and collect the passport personally.
- Please note that multiple entry visa is suspended at this moment, Visa is only for single entry and valid for 3 months from the date of issuance.
- We do not respond to urgent visa application/visa issuance request. All visa application will be reviewed based on first come first served basis. Please also note that visa is subjected to approval. Visa application will take at least 5 working days to process provided that all the required documents above received in complete. It might take a longer time to process if the Consul/MOFA Japan request for additional documents after checking the submitted documents. Do not purchase your flight ticket before obtaining your visa. Embassy will not be responsible for flight tickets or hotel booking which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
- Since the relaxation of Japan border enforcement, we are experiencing high volume of visa application request daily. Please do not send multiple emails or call us to check the status of your appointment. Appointment is needed as we need to limit the number of visitors in Consular Section due to space constraint and Covid-19 SOP.
- Original passport will be kept at the Embassy during the visa processing period. We cannot process your visa application without original passport.
- Embassy will not tolerate any aggressive behaviour and any form of verbal or physical abuse to our staff. Please treat our staff with courtesy and respect.
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ. How can I obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?
A. The COE should be applied by your spouse/ employer/university in Japan at their local Regional Immigration Services Agency. Please inquiry directly with Immigration Services Agency regarding the procedures and requirement to apply for COE.
Immigration Services Agency information center contact number
Q. My COE issued in June 2021 and I couldn’t travel before it expires in September 2021. Should I apply for a new COE?
A. COE issued between 1 January 2020 and 30 April 2022 : the validity will be until 31 October 2022.
COE issued between 1 May 2022 and 31 July 2022 : the validity will be within 6 months from the date of issuance.
You can also refer to the Ministry of Justice Japan website for details:
For COE (Certificate of Eligibility) that has been issued for more than 3 months upon submission of Japan visa application, your receiving University/Organisation/spouse have to prepare the declaration form as stated below :
For Employment purpose & Student, please use the declaration form stated below :
For Japanese spouse/ Long term resident/ Dependent, please use the declaration form stated below :