Dear Travelers to Japan
- An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip.
- Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern.
- It is recommended to have an overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospitals referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.
- Click here for the video link.
Information of the Visa-Hotline
If you have any questions about visa for Japan, please contact the following Skype number.
About how to make a call on Skype
（1） Launch the Skype app.
（2） Select the search icon that says "Groups & Messages" shown on the top of the window.
* The words displayed may vary depending on your device.
（3） Copy and paste the dedicated ID of the JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE on the "Search Skype" field.
（4） Select JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE from the search results.
（5） Press the Audio Call button.
* You need to download the Skype app. (Free）
* This Hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in Malaysia.
* This Hotline will only provide general information regarding Japanese visas.
* This Hotline will not connect you to the Embassy's Visa Section. If you need to contact the Embassy in regards to a pending visa application, please contact the Embassy directly at 03-2177-2600 during office hours.
* This Hotline is temporary and we will set new number after a few days.
Malaysian nationals holding biometric passport compliance with ICAO standard do not need visa to enter Japan for a short term stay not more than 90 days if your purpose of visit is for tourism, transit, business meeting, visiting friends and relatives in Japan.
The Government of Japan implemented visa exemption for Malaysia nationals holding biometric passport compliance with ICAO standard since July 2013. From our understanding, all passports issued by the Malaysia government both in Malaysia and foreign missions abroad are all ICAO compliant by end of January 2017.
Those who plan to stay for more than 90 days to work or study in Japan has to apply visa with Certificate of Eligibility issued by the Immigration Bureau in Japan before entering Japan. Please click here for more information.
- Click here to view sample of ICAO compliant passport
- Malaysia C. I Passport holder requires visa to enter Japan, click here for required documents
Visa exemption countries and regions
Some countries and regions are exempted from visa to enter Japan. Please click here to check the list of countries or regions that do not require a visa to enter Japan.
Criteria to apply visa in Malaysia
Foreigner (non- Malaysian nationals) who wish to apply for Japan visa at the Embassy of Japan in Malaysia must meet the criteria below:
- You are a permanent resident in Malaysia with My PR card or
- You have a Malaysia long term stay visa such as work/ student/ spouse/dependent/ MM2H/ Maid visa (visa validity at least 6 months upon submission of visa application)
Visa application requirements
Please refer to the links below for visa application requirement according to your purpose of visit:
- Holiday/ Transit
- Visiting Family/ Friends / Relatives
- To purchase Auto parts
- Domestic Helper Accompanying Employer for Holiday/ Transit
- MM2H Visa Holder in Malaysia (Holiday/ Transit/ Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives)
- Spouse of Japanese National (Short Term/ Long term stay visa)
- Long-Term Stay such as work or study (with Certificate of Eligibility)
Required documents may vary according to nationality, visa type in Malaysia and purpose of visit. The requirements listed here only serve as a basic guideline. Please note that visa is subjected to approval by Consul and the Embassy reserves the rights to request for additional documents or call the applicant for an interview whenever it deems necessary.
If you have further inquiry, please contact us at 603-2177 2600 or email us at email@example.com . Kindly provide us the following information in your email: Applicant’s 1. Nationality, 2. Malaysia visa type (work/student/spouse visa & etc), 3. Purpose of visit (Holiday / Visit Friends & Relatives / Business & etc), 4. Tentative travel date, 5. Place of residence in Malaysia
There is no visa fees for Malaysian. For non- Malaysian nationals, Visa application fees are listed here.
Please kindly pay the exact amount of visa fees in cash during collection of visa. We do not accept payment by Credit card.
Visa Counter Operating Hours
Embassy of Japan in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
Monday to Friday (Except Embassy’s Holiday)
*15th June ~ 9:00am ~ 12:00pm and 2:00pm ~ 4:00pm
Please click here for more details
(Note) Parking is prohibited along Persiaran Stonor. Since there is no parking space in the Embassy compound, we hope you will take advantage of public transportation and taxi or park your car at a car park nearby.
Visa Application has to be submitted to the office which covers your current residential area. Embassy of Japan in Kuala Lumpur accepts visa application for applicant living in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Pahang and Johor.
Embassy of Japan in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
Cover Area: Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Pahang, Johor
Consulate-General of Japan (Penang) (Refer directly for visa requirement)
Cover Area: Penang, Kedah, Perlis, Perak, Kelantan, Terengganu
Consular Office of Japan (Kota Kinabalu) (Refer directly for visa requirement)
Cover Area: Sabah, Sarawak, Labuan
Consular Office of Japan in Johor Bahru has been closed since end of 2014. Effective from 1st January 2015, Consular services handled by the Consular Office in Johor Bahru are consolidated with the Embassy of Japan in Kuala Lumpur.
Note: This information is designed as a guide only. If you have other inquiries, please contact the Embassy of Japan at 03-21772600 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q : As a Malaysian citizen with a Malaysia passport, do I require a visa to enter Japan?
A : Malaysian nationals holding biometric passport compliance with ICAO standard do not need visa to enter Japan for a short term stay not more than 90 days if your purpose of visit is for tourism, transit, business meeting, visiting friend and relatives in Japan.
Those who plan to stay for more than 90 days to work or study in Japan has to obtain a visa before entering Japan, please click here for more information
When entering Japan, the immigration officer might ask visitor’s some questions concerning the purpose of visit or request to check certain documents (For example: hotel bookings, return flight tickets & etc.)
Please be aware that you might be denied entry if you are entering Japan for short-term stay but the total duration of your stay in Japan in a year exceeds 180 days.
Q : I am a foreigner, can I apply Japan visa at the Embassy of Japan in Malaysia?
A : Embassy of Japan in Malaysia only accepts visa applications from foreigners living in Malaysia with a long term stay visa (example: Work/ Student/ Spouse/ Dependent/ MM2H/ Maid visa). We do not accept visa applications from those who entered Malaysia under short social visit pass such as tourists, short-term business travelers and foreigners transiting in Malaysia. Non-Malaysian citizen who require visa to enter Japan must obtain visa at the Consulate or Embassy of Japan at your home country or your country of residence.
Q : Can I submit my application online?
A : No. We do not have any online application service. All documents has to be submitted at the Visa Counter. Please do not send any documents or material directly to the Embassy. Please note that documents submitted will not be returned.
Q : Can third party submit my visa application on behalf of me?
A : Yes. Original authorization letter signed by the visa applicant is required each for submission and collection if the visa applicant cannot submit/ collect the visa personally. Click here for sample of Authorization letter.
Q : Do I need to submit flight and hotel bookings?
A : Confirmed flight tickets and hotel bookings are not compulsory during visa submission but Consul might request for tentative flight or hotel booking after submission of application. Do not purchase confirmed tickets, we are not responsible for flight tickets or hotel booking which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
Q : How long is the validity period of a visa?
A : Visa validity is 3 months from the date of issuance for single entry visa.
Q : How long does it take to process the visa?
A : We need at least 3-5 working days to process. It might take longer if additional documentation is required. There is NO urgent visa processing service, you may apply for your visa 3 months prior to entering Japan.
Q : I would like to work/ study in Japan. How can I get a visa to work/study in Japan?
A : For those who wish to work/study in Japan, you must find a potential employer/school who is willing to act as your sponsor and apply for the Certificate of Eligibility for you at the Immigration Bureau in Japan. After you obtained the Certificate of Eligibility, you have to submit visa application at the nearest Embassy or Consulate office where you reside. Click here for more information
Q : Why was my visa application rejected and when can I apply again?
A : We cannot inform the reason of rejection. If your application was rejected, you can only apply again after six months from the date of rejection.
Q : Do I need to pay visa fees if my application was unsuccessful?
A : You will not be required to pay visa fees if the visa is not issued.
Q : I overstayed and was deported from Japan, can I enter Japan again?
A : Any foreign national who falls under any of the following conditions among others are not allowed to enter Japan even after the implementation of visa exemption for Malaysian Nationals which started from July 2013.
- A person who has been deported from Japan for overstaying and the stipulated period of denial of landing has not elapsed from the date of deportation.
- A person who has been convicted of violation of any law or regulation of Japan or of any other countries, and has been sentenced to imprisonment with or without work for 1 year or more or to equivalent penalty,
- A person who possesses any narcotics or psychotropic substances illegally.
Click here to check the conditions of entry to Japan.