Frequently asked questions

Note: This information is designed as a guide only. If you have other inquiries, please contact the Embassy of Japan at 03-21772600 or email us at

Q :  As a Malaysian citizen with a Malaysia passport, do I require a visa to enter Japan?
A: Malaysian nationals holding biometric passport compliance with ICAO standard do not need visa to enter Japan for a short term stay not more than 90 days if your purpose of visit is for tourism, transit, business meeting, visiting friend and relatives in Japan.

Those who plan to stay for more than 90 days to work or study in Japan has to obtain a visa before entering Japan, please click here for more information. 

When entering Japan, the immigration officer might ask visitors some questions concerning the purpose of visit or request to check certain documents (For example: hotel bookings, return flight tickets & etc.) 

Please be aware that you might be denied entry if you are entering Japan for short-term stay but the total duration of your stay in Japan in a year exceeds 180 days.

Q: I am a foreigner, can I apply Japan visa at the Embassy of Japan in Malaysia?
A: Embassy of Japan in Malaysia only accepts visa applications from foreigners living in Malaysia with a long term stay visa (example:  Work/ Student/ Spouse/ Dependent/ MM2H/ Maid visa). We do not accept visa applications from those who entered Malaysia under short social visit pass such as tourists, short-term business travelers and foreigners transiting in Malaysia. Non-Malaysian citizen who require visa to enter Japan must obtain visa at the Consulate or Embassy of Japan at your home country or your country of residence.

Q: Can I submit my application online?
A:  No. We do not have any online application service. All documents has to be submitted at the Visa Counter. Please do not send any documents or material directly to the Embassy. Please note that documents submitted will not be returned.

Q: Do I need at least 6 months passport validity in order to enter Japan?
A: Japan does not have any regulations relating to passport validity, so long as your passport will be valid until after you leave Japan.

Q : Can third party submit my visa application on behalf of me?
A : No. You have to come personally to submit visa application and collect your passport.

Q : Do I need to submit flight and hotel bookings?
A : Confirmed flight tickets and hotel bookings are not compulsory during visa submission but Consul might request for tentative flight or hotel booking after submission of application. Do not purchase confirmed tickets, we are not responsible for flight tickets or hotel booking which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.

Q : How long is the validity period of a visa?
A : Visa validity is 3 months from the date of issuance for single entry visa. 

Q: How long does it take to process the visa?
A: We need approximately 5 working days to process. It might take longer if additional documentation is required. There is NO urgent visa processing service, you may apply for your visa 3 months prior to entering Japan.

Q: I renewed my passport recently and my Japan visa is in the old passport. Do I need to transfer the visa to my new passport before entering Japan?
A: If your Japan visa is still valid, you can enter Japan by bringing along both new and old passports. Please show the immigration officer your valid visa on your old passports at the Immigration counter.

Q: I would like to work/ study in Japan. How can I get a visa to work/study in Japan? 
A:  For those who wish to work/study in Japan, you must find a potential employer/school who is willing to act as your sponsor and apply for the Certificate of Eligibility for you at the Immigration Bureau in Japan. After you obtained the Certificate of Eligibility, you have to submit visa application at the nearest Embassy or Consulate office where you reside. Click here for more information 

Immigration Services Agency information center contact number

Q: I applied and obtained my student visa recently at the Embassy. The approved period of stay stated on my COE is one year but why is period of validity on the visa sticker is 3 MONTHS from 2 March 2023 to 2 June 2023? 
A: The period of validity on a visa does not indicate the period which the visa holder can stay in Japan but the available period of time within which the person has to use it. Please be reminded that you must undergo an immigration inspection before that expiry date since the visa becomes invalid once that period of validity has elapsed.

Q:Can I apply for a visa unless I have the original Certificate of Eligibility?
A:Foreigners can apply for a visa by presenting the COE email or a copy of the COE from the 17 of March 2023.Please check the following URL for details.

Q: How can I apply for Japan Working Holiday Visa?
A:  Malaysian National is not eligible for Japan Working Holiday visa programme as there is no bilateral agreement between the Government of Japan and Malaysia. For other country nationals, kindly refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Japan website to check if you are eligible in applying for working holiday visa. Please note that working holiday visa can only be processed at Embassies or Consulates-General of Japan in your home country.

Q: I am flying to a third city but transiting at Narita/Haneda airport, do I need a transit visa?
A:  For transit purpose, you can transit (without applying for transit visa) for the situation below:

1. Stay at transit area (cannot go out at all from the transit area) during layover while waiting for connecting flight.

2. At the same terminal and same airport; do not change terminal and airport at all.

Please take note that Narita airport will close at midnight. You cannot stay at transit area when it is closed. Please check your arrival/departure time.

 3. Your connecting flight is on the same day.

If you need to change terminal, change airport or your connecting flight is on the next day, you need a transit visa.

Q: Why was my visa application rejected and when can I apply again?
A : We cannot inform the reason of rejection. If your application was rejected, you can only apply again after six months from the date of rejection.

Q: Do I need to pay visa fees if my application was unsuccessful?
A: You will not be required to pay visa fees if the visa is not issued.
Q: I overstayed and was deported from Japan, can I enter Japan again?
A: Any foreign national who falls under any of the following conditions among others are not allowed to enter Japan even after the implementation of visa exemption for Malaysian Nationals which started from July 2013.
1) A person who has been deported from Japan for overstaying and the stipulated period of denial of landing has not elapsed from the date of deportation.
2) A person who has been convicted of violation of any law or regulation of Japan or of any other countries, and has been sentenced to imprisonment with or without work for 1 year or more or to equivalent penalty,
3) A person who possesses any narcotics or psychotropic substances illegally. 
The grounds for denial of landing on foreign nationals are stipulated in Article 5 of Japan Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.
Click here to check the conditions of entry to Japan.