In an effort to share Japanese pop culture and promote understanding of Japan, the Japan International MANGA Award was established in 2007 to honour non-Japanese cartoonists for their contribution to the promotion of MANGA culture outside Japan.
Response to this Award has been overwhelming, with 326 works submitted from 60 countries/regions for the 11th Japan International MANGA Award in 2017 where Colombia cartoonist, Mr. Guerra Aldos clinched the “Gold Award” for his masterpiece “TWO ALDOS ”.
Embassy of Japan is calling for entries for the 12th Japan International MANGA Award. The Selection Committee will choose the best MANGA from all entries for the “Gold Award” and approximately three distinguished works will receive the “Silver Award”. These deserving cartoonists will have the opportunity to attend the award ceremony in Japan for around 10 days.
1. Conditions of Entry
(1) Eligible MANGA works need to be composed of more than 16 pages. Both published and unpublished works are eligible to apply, excluding the past winning works of Japan International Manga Awards.
(2) Eligible MANGA works should be the ones which have been produced within the past three years (2015-2018) from the date of application.
(3) Eligible MANGA works must be submitted in printed form. (Submission of data might be required later on.)
(4) Overseas publishing companies can apply to the Japan International MANGA Award, upon confirmation from the MANGA artists of submitting their work.
(5) Either the comic artist or story writer of the submitted work has to be a foreign national. Also the representative who will participate in the invitation program given to the Gold / Silver Award winners must be a foreign national.
(6) Only one work may be submitted per applicant.
Only one work may be accepted under one title (or series).
In case that a collection of short stories is to be applied, only one story will be accepted for examination.
Duplicate entries will be invalid.
(7) For the purpose of publicity, the MANGA Award Executive Committee may upload the winner’s MANGA works (partially) on its website upon obtaining approval from the artists.
2. How to Apply
Applications should be sent to either (1) or (2) below.
(1)To Embassy of Japan in Malaysia
(i)DEADLINE: 8th June 2018 (Entries must arrive by this date)
No. 11, Persiaran Stonor, Off Jalan Tun Razak, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
(2)The Twelveth Japan International MANGA Award Executive Committee
(i) DEADLINE: 15th June 2018 (Entries must arrive by this date)
(ii) P. O. Box
MBE193 The Twelveth Japan International MANGA Award Executive Committee
Shinjuku Oak Tower 2F, 6-8-1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
(3) The number of copies
Two copies of your work must be submitted.
(Additional copies may be requested for works being considered for an award.)
Please ensure the entry form, filled in either English or Japanese, is attached to your work. (Write in Block Letter)
Please ensure that the page number is indicated on every page.
If your work is not in the form of a booklet please indicate clearly if there are any specific two-page spreads in your work.
3. Return of Works
The submitted works will not be returned to applicants. Therefore, if your work has not yet been published, make sure that a copy is submitted and the original is retained by you. We might donate submitted works, or exhibit them.
The Twelveth Japan International MANGA Award Evaluation Committee is in charge of the selection process.
5. Award Ceremony
The award ceremony is planned to be held in Tokyo in February 2019.
6. Guidelines and Entries Form
The Twelveth Japan International MANGA Award Guidelines for Application (PDF)
The 12th Japan International MANGA Award Entry Form (PDF)
If you want to get more information, please visit the following website of the Japan International MANGA Award (http://www.manga-award.mofa.go.jp/)
The 12th Japan International MANGA Award
April 23, 2018